Slip and fall cases are some of the most common types of personal injury lawsuits. Property and business owners have a responsibility to keep their land and facilities safe for any guests or patrons who come on the property. That includes cleaning up spills, removing ice and snow, adequately warning patrons of a wet floor, and other responsibilities.
If you or someone you care about slipped and fell and were injured due to the negligence of a property or business owner, you have the right to sue for damages. If you want the best possible chance of getting the compensation you deserve, you need to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer and follow these 5 tips.
- Get copies of medical records. It is very important that you request copies of all of your medical records pertaining to the injuries you sustained from your slip and fall accident. You need to have proof that the injuries occurred and of their severity. It is also necessary to show that you did receive the necessary medical care and that you have followed your doctor’s instructions and recommendations for your care.
- Gather witness statements. If there were witnesses to your slip and fall accident, it is necessary to get them to make a statement, either written, audio, or video recording. Get their contact information as well as a detailed account of what they witnessed before, during, and after your accident. Most slip and fall cases are settled out of court, but in the event that a case goes to court, witnesses may need to appear in person.
- Take photographs. Photographs are one of the best forms of documentation for your injuries. Take photos of your injuries immediately following the accident, and periodically along the way from your initial treatment to your recovery. Date the photos so that they show the progression of time and the length of your recovery time. The longer it takes you to recover from your injuries, the greater amount of compensation you may be able to seek.
- File and get copies of police and incident reports. It is important in slip and fall cases to file a police report as well as an incident report with the business where the accident took place. It is necessary to prove that you reported the incident to the business owner so that they were aware of the situation. A police report is another key piece of documentation to prove that the event took place and the severity of it.
- Keep receipts. Whenever you pay anything toward your care following the slip and fall accident, keep your receipt. Save receipts of payments to your doctor, the hospital, the pharmacy, and any other medical expenses. These receipts help to show the actual cost of your medical treatment.
Bonus Tip: Contact a Lawyer As Soon As Possible
The first step you should take is to get the necessary medical attention you need following your accident. The next step should be to contact a personal injury lawyer. Call them as soon as you are able, or ask a loved one to call for you if you are physically unable to do so. The sooner you involve a lawyer, the better your chances of proving that the slip and fall accident occurred due to someone’s actions or negligence.
Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident? Call the Law Office of Joel A. Levine
If you or a loved one slipped and fell on public property or someone else’s property, contact the Law Office of Joel A. Levine as soon as possible. We act immediately, reporting to the scene of the incident to collect evidence. We will guide you every step of the way to build your case and get you the justice you deserve in the form of financial compensation. You deserve to have your medical bills, lost wages, and other financial losses covered by the party at fault.
Request a free case evaluation or call (512) 982-1510. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to take your call.